chessgod101
Please login to view all of the forum content.

Stockfish and Komodo TCEC vs Houdini

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stockfish and Komodo TCEC vs Houdini

Post  chichi on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:31 am

I have a strange issue. With my AMD fx 8350 processor, Houdini 3,4 x64 Pro is working with over 12000 kN/s while Komodo or Stockfish with no more than 7500 kN/s. Anyone have the same issue or get a solution for this problem?

chichi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stockfish and Komodo TCEC vs Houdini

Post  ranomi2003 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:10 pm

check if the given parameters of the engine are with Threads = 8

ranomi2003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chichi on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:32 pm

Eh, of course. For Stockfish I've also unchecked the idle thread checkbox. I'd like to get an Intel processor, but I want to be sure this issue is related to AMD processors. Maybe predator78 will be so kind to reply. I know he also own an AMD FX processor.

chichi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Really good question and here is my answer

Post  predator78 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:25 am

Yes that's right Houdini is better only in this thing, just achieved more , Kn/s>>but too weak in depth against Stockfish,and against Komodo in calculating of difficult positions Because it uses aggressive pruning so-called Alpha-beta pruning (minimax-Algorithm)+Heuristic improvements which of course limits the depth, at the expense of computing nodes per sec which are Kn/s Stockfish and Komodo they are not used aggressive method pruning, Komodo and Stockfish are a somewhat low because the algorithm of komodo is very deep and need time for calculating position, ....on the other side of course Stockfish has great depth and speed but less kn/s>>>>>>These are three options which can not be combined. 1 speed >>>>>> 2 computing nodes per sec and 3 depth This is the main difference no matter, Intel or Amd CPUs you using............stockfish komodo and houdini have a weakness everyone uses something from these three things.........1 speed >>>>>> 2 computing nodes per sec and 3 depth.................but no one of those engines none those things of complete power,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,What is the conclusion:should use Komodo for a long game>> 90.,120..180 min>>>>>Houdini for a bullet and fast game..1...2.....3 min and ofcourse Stockfish for blitz and rapid game will be better 5....16... 45 min..........

predator78

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Really good question and here is my answer

Post  FeRdAuZ on Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:47 am

That's very true... corrected by experience. Smile

FeRdAuZ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chichi on Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:17 am

Thanks predator78! I thought it is related to AMD.

Indeed, I'm using latest dev version of Stockfish and it's better than Houdini in blitz games. Sadly, until depth 25, Houdini is making a lot of mistakes losing many the tests against Stockfish or Komodo. Stockfish is reaching deep positions faster, but sometimes it's missing good moves due to that chop algorithm. With my computer, Houdini is reaching depth 25 after few minutes. For the same number of minutes Stockfish is reaching depth 29.

As a conclusion, in my latest tests Stockfish 240314 vs Houdini 4 x64 is performing better in 1-10 minutes games. However in depth tests (Houdini depth 25 vs Stockfish depth 29), Houdini remains in top. I'm always tick the Learning checkbox.

In my Infinite Analysis with Fritz I still prefer Houdini as main engine and Stockfish in second place. But I'm sure Stockfish will be incontestable number one soon. Developers are working on it each day.

chichi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Intel Vs Amd cpus

Post  predator78 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:21 am

Well and about on whether intel achieved more kn/s against Amd this statement is absolutely wrong..........Given the architecture of the Amd and Intel processor they are different from.........calculating nodes per cpu and ratio core..........CpuS scale, of calculation is different if for intel scale..ratio.. is 1;1 cpus core, for Amd is 1;1.8,,,,,,,,,,,That's ,,,,,,,,,,,,,because AMD still no. virtual cores.......... scale of cpus and core ratio is. approximately is 1:1,8 cpu ratio per core and if you have 12000 kn/s for Amd against 18.000 kn/s for Intel1:1=18.000 without difference for Amd you can calculate so easy 12.000 x 1.8 % =21.600 kn/s with difference..But Unfortunately AMD does not support the technology of virtual cores.........this is an example for 8 octal core, processor>>>>>>>example Fx series Cpus......not to be confused concept, speed and power of Cpus they are two different things,,,,,,.and more one example if you have overclock your system you will achieve only speed nothing else............But if you want to achive power are need more cores......speed is decisive concept more quickly calculate for a short time are crucial for chess ofcourse...................therefore Xeon CPUs are the best, with best performance against any other processor because, they are fast but this is not power, only speed.........Conclusion: intel and Xeon cpus are better in development with low ghz but big preformance+ virtual cores Amd high Ghz but with many weak preformance..........the only good is that Amd have a reasonable price,,,,,, sorry for all supporters of Amd but it's a truth..I also have Fx octal core.Bulldozer 4.9ghz with water cooling Corsair H 100 extreme,,.and still lags behind,against Intel...........I just regret that, are give money for those processors

predator78

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:11 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top