chessgod101
Please login to view all of the forum content.

ChessBase (Fritz) 14 GUI, Board Images

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ChessBase (Fritz) 14 GUI, Board Images

Post  andytl755 on Sat May 31, 2014 2:38 pm

Does anybody know where the image files for the board, black squares, white squares, etc. are stored in Fritz 14. It is my intention to export these images so I can use them elsewhere. I have looked for the obvious JPG, BMP, etc. and all I can find is the very small images used on the Ribbons toolbar to show an example of how they look.

I have tried exporting the board as a picture, but to be honest the quality is so low on my computer, the squares end up being tiny.

Thank you
Andy

andytl755

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ChessBase (Fritz) 14 GUI, Board Images

Post  Schachmatt on Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:16 am

There are GUIs like Shredder or Aquarium, which use images to represent their chess pieces. In Shredder they are implemented in the exe file, in Aquarium you can find them in the installation folder.

Any Fritz version, however, refers to the fonts folder of your operating system: If you open the fonts of windows, you find any "fritz chess piece" beginning with "diagram...", for example: "DiaTTFri.ttf = Diagram TTFritz Standard" and so on...

Therefore it is not so easy to use them. To improve or change chess pieces it is easier to take them from Aquarium and convert them into other formats if necessary.
I did this for some apple apps, like Shredder, Hiarcs Chess and Chess Pro. You have to pay attention to save them with the transparent attribute to work the right way on any other chess board. Photoshop will help you to do so!

Cheers.  Wink

Schachmatt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Dark Squares, Light Squares

Post  andytl755 on Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:20 am

Thank you Schachmatt.

Do you know about the actual board images themselves? For example the Maple scheme: Light and Dark squares and the background image. As I mentioned screen capturing and export of the board image is rather limited. I suspect the original image file it at least 150 pixels x 150 pixels, whereas mine comes out alot less.

As you mentioned regarding Aquarium, I suspect the original images are inside the ChessProgram14.exe file. But reaching them is proving difficult.

Thanks again
Andy

andytl755

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schachmatt on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:31 pm

Oh, I am sorry, I think I misunderstood you: My contribution only refers to the chess pieces itself, but not the boards.

The Fritz boards have grains, so that it makes no sence, to cut out single squares. This is the maximum I can do: 944 x 944 pixel (whole board without the margin - have a look at this example and tell me which board you prefer - maybe I can help you...  Question 

Spoiler:

Click to get the example!

You must be logged in, to click on the link, I think. If this goes into the right direction, I could abload the file to mega, so that you get the original format like "bmp" or "tiff" without any disadvantages in quality.

Schachmatt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mohamed Nayeem on Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:21 am

how to post playable PGN Games

Mohamed Nayeem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ChessBase Board Images

Post  andytl755 on Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:05 pm

In the directory %Program Files%\ChessBase\ChessProgram14\ is a file called Textures3.dll. It contains the board images in PNG format. I have found it possible to export these images. There are numerous programs available that will allow the user to change icons, images, etc. By using one of these it is possible to save the images you require. I state this in case anyone else is trying similiarly to find these images.

Incidentally this is also the same for ChessProgram13, but I cannot say for earlier versions.

Thanks for the help Schachmatt, the information on the typefaces was helpful and uploading to board image was appreciated.

andytl755

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantprot on Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:12 pm

andytl755 wrote:In the directory %Program Files%\ChessBase\ChessProgram14\ is a file called Textures3.dll. It contains the board images in PNG format. I have found it possible to export these images. There are numerous programs available that will allow the user to change icons, images, etc. By using one of these it is possible to save the images you require. I state this in case anyone else is trying similiarly to find these images.

Incidentally this is also the same for ChessProgram13, but I cannot say for earlier versions.

Thanks for the help Schachmatt, the information on the typefaces was helpful and uploading to board image was appreciated.
Hi bro. how can we extract that dll file?

plantprot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Extracting from the DLL file

Post  andytl755 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:28 am

Sorry for the delay in responding. For some reason I've only just seen your reply. :-(

A program called Resource Hacker (its not like it sounds) will extract the said image files, as well as other files . It can be downloaded at: http://www.download3k.com/Install-Resource-Hacker.html. By opening up the texture file DLL in Resource Hacker you will find all the associated images. Find the one(s) you want under the PNG header and you can Copy them to the clipboard or export them under the Action menu heading.

Hope you get on ok.
Andy

andytl755

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantprot on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:40 pm

thank you so much andy, I will try it

plantprot

View user profile

Back to top Go down