chessgod101
Please login to view all of the forum content.

How to convert a .ctg book into .bin format for use with StockFish 8?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to convert a .ctg book into .bin format for use with StockFish 8?

Post  MasterOfIllusions on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:11 pm

Hi,

From what I understood, Polyglot allows (using the "make-book" command line) to convert a .pgn book into a .bin book. However, I would like to have my "Fritz 15.ctg" converted into .bin so I can use it in StockFish8. If the above method is valid, then how can I convert that .ctg file into a .pgn file?

Thanks!

MOI

MasterOfIllusions

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How to convert a .ctg book into .bin format for use with StockFish 8?

Post  gambit_man on Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:07 am

MasterOfIllusions wrote:Hi,

From what I understood, Polyglot allows (using the "make-book" command line) to convert a .pgn book into a .bin book. However, I would like to have my "Fritz 15.ctg" converted into .bin so I can use it in StockFish8. If the above method is valid, then how can I convert that .ctg file into a .pgn file?

Thanks!

MOI

Hi,

Unfortunatley it is not possible to convert a CTG book into PGN file or into a .bin book.  It has been asked many times over the years and cannot be done  The CTG book has been compiled from a database of games and once that proces has completed you cannot get back to the source list of games to produce a PGN of those games.

Out of interest what is the issue with using your Fritz 15.ctg with your Stockfish 8 engine ?  What GUI are you trying to do this in ?  If it's Fritz 15 or Chessbase then all you need to do is load up your Fritz 15 book (FILE/OPEN/OPENINGS BOOK) and navigate to the ctg file.  Now when you load your Stockfish 8 engine it will automatically use the Fritz 15.ctg. Stockfish 8 doesn't have its own book management function anyway (like Houdini or Komodo do) where you can tell it in its engine parametsr to use a .bin book.  Apogies if you alraedy know this but just pointing out in case.

If on the other hand you are trying to use Stockfish 8 engine together with Frtitz 15.ctg in a GUI other than Fritz or Chessbase, you may be able to do this using the Aquarium Book Adapter which allows a CTG book to be used in some other GUIs.

gambit_man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top