chessgod101
Please login to view all of the forum content.

Reaching the Top?! A Practical Guide to Master-Level Chess

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reaching the Top?! A Practical Guide to Master-Level Chess

Post  jiri on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:38 pm

Reaching the Top?!
A Practical Guide to Master-Level Chess

Reaching the top is a practical guide from the American chess Master Peter Kurzdorfer how to reach the magical goal of chessmaster,or how 
to convert your chess knowledge to the so wanted  2200 ELO level.
This all is readable done with topics as Learning From Past Mistakes ,Choose Openings to Suit Your Style,Handling Material Inequality,Practical 
Endgames,How Sound Do Your Openings Need to Be?
When Things Go Terribly Wrong, Overcoming Difficulties and How to Win.
A large amount of material come from the personal experiences of  Peter Kurzdorfer and that makes all even more interesting.
But first some words from the author himself: When I began to play, all this book learning did not immediately translate into wins or a high rating. 
Something was missing. I needed the experience of playing. So I played a lot. And still something was missing. I played the strongest competition
 I could find and analysed the games with my opponents and by myself afterwards. And still something was missing. I was not “getting it.”
I had trouble calculating reliable variations over the board, so began playing correspondence games where I could look at each position I analysed 
on a chessboard and so see it clearer.
This did strengthen my play, but it was not enough. I played blindfold games so I could learn to see these positions in my head during a tournament game.
There are many games from Peter Kurzdorfer in this book but he has no problems analysing games that did not work so well out for him,as for example the 
following game against six time US Champion Walter Browne:
Browne,Walter S (2530) - Kurzdorfer,Peter [D34]
New York op New York (1), 1985
1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 c5 4.cxd5 exd5 5.Nf3 Nc6 6.g3 Nf6 7.Bg2 Be7 8.0-0 0-0 9.Bg5 Be6 10.dxc5 Bxc5 11.Rc1 Be7 12.Nd4 h6 13.Bf4 Qb6 
14.Nxe6 fxe6 15.e4 d4 16.e5 Nxe5 17.Bxe5 dxc3 18.bxc3 Rad8 19.Qe2 Nd5 20.Rb1 Qc6 21.c4 Qa6 22.Rb5 Bf6 23.cxd5 Bxe5 24.dxe6 Bf6 
25.Bxb7 Rd2 26.e7 1-0.
This work is overloaded with instructive tips!
Conclusion: This book truly helps you to become a master in chess!

What Does It Take to Play Master-Level Chess?

Becoming a master is a goal many chessplayers seek. And for most, it is an unfulfilled dream.

Now, for the first time, the topic is squarely addressed. Not by a super grandmaster or high-powered international master, but by a "regular" national master,  a master who earned his stripes in the trenches, battling his way to the title. 

In Reaching the Top?!, author Peter Kurzdorfer shares his journey to the coveted 2200 Elo mark.

Using his own games, major topics covered by the author include: Learning From Past Mistakes; Choose Openings to Suit Your Style; Handling Material Inequality; Practical Endgames; How Sound Do Your Openings Need to Be?;  When Things Go Terribly Wrong; Overcoming Difficulties; and How to Win.

This guide shows what it takes to play at the master level. What you need to know. What you do not need to know. It is a practical presentation that will not only help aspiring masters, but in fact any player seeking to improve his game. 

So come on in and sit by the side of a chess master as he plies his craft, marveling at the wonderful, intricate combinations and positional ideas and shuddering at the opportunities that supposedly strong chess players missed time and time again.

Enjoy these every-day, blue-collar battles that do not involve the cutting edge of theory or top professional combatants, but do come out of ordinary amateur chess players who have made it work for them.

However, there is one requirement: you do have to love the game and give it your best shot, every game, every move. Mix in some discipline and concentration, and you too may be able to play master-level chess.

About the Author
After a 30-year adventure spent immersed in chess beginning in the early 1970s, Peter Kurzdorfer is back. He is a long-time national master, chess teacher, certified coach and tournament director. He is also a former contributor and later editor of Chess Life and School Mates magazines, a former judge for the Chess Journalists of America, and author of The Everything Chess Basics Book and the Tao of Chess. Though no longer active on the tournament circuit, he is involved in chess editing once again, notably with Russell Enterprises, Inc.

https://m.vk.com/doc451891555_453232319?hash=494b2cc503128dcc25&dl=271256043125f7870d

jiri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top