chessgod101
Please login to view all of the forum content.

How to Be Lucky in Chess - LeMoir

Go down

How to Be Lucky in Chess - LeMoir

Post  ChessCaissa on Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:05 am

Some players seem to have an inexhaustible supply of chessboard luck. No matter what trouble they find themselves in, they somehow manage to escape. Among world champions, Lasker, Tal and Kasparov are famed for peering into the abyss but somehow making sure it is their opponents who fall. This book aims to help ordinary players, who may have little time for studying chess, to make the most of their abilities. Unlike most previous literature on chess psychology, this is no heavyweight theoretical treatise, but rather a practical guide in how to lure opponents into error - and thus create what is often called 'luck'.

About the Author
David LeMoir is an experienced chess player and writer. He twice won the championship of the West of England and was runner-up on four occasions. In 2000, he was County Champion of Norfolk. In a successful career as a business strategy consultant, he has made good use of the strategic and decision-making skills that are developed by playing chess.

A reader says: "I used to get upset while playing chess if I was up a piece and my opponent did not quit. What is he expecting? I would ask, that I get a hart attack? Why doesn't he quit? David Lemoir has some eye-opening statistics to offer: players under 1600 cannot win a game even when up a piece if they face strong opposition.
Lemoir provides all sorts of practical advise on how to improve your luck in chess. If you don't think there is such thing as luck in chess just ask any looser.
Not always do we have the resources needed to improve our luck such as access to a scantly clothed beautiful female to stand behind us while we play. But there are some tactics, which while a little on the gray areas of sportsmanship are legal and you can read about them on the book.
David's father, Ken LeMoir s a retired illustrator and the book has plenty of funny illustrations which make it worth it.
One caveat, most of the examples are Lemoir's games and therefore you are not getting top chess analysis in this book. What you get is practical street smarts for players under 1600."

Paperback: 176 pages
Publisher: Gambit Publications (November 1, 2001)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 190198348X
ISBN-13: 978-1901983487

Link (OCR'd and bookmarked PDF, 13.5 mb):
http://rgho.st/85D77YHlV

Password: Caissa

Thanks to silversurfer and gaurav_singh_m! sunny

As far as the theme of this book is concerned, I cannot forget the immortal pronouncement by Sammy Reshevsky: "in chess, luck is more valuable than a license to steal"..

ChessCaissa

View user profile

Back to top Go down