chessgod101
Please login to view all of the forum content.

Leather Chess Board

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Leather Chess Board

Post  Jackph on Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:54 am

Hi Everybody

As you know yourself, leather chessboards are usually very expensive and your choices of leather chessboards out there are limited.

I then decided to make one myself and want to share with you the chess “boards” I made from real South African cow leather.  I made a chess board on the other side of the leather as well, just for the fun of it, to see if I could make it on the rough side of the leather as well.

The blocks are each 50mm x 50mm and the thickness of the leather is nearly 2mm.  On a flat surface the leather are perfectly flat and works perfect with my plastic and wooden piece sets.

I hand painted everything myself with fabric leather.  The paint is perfectly suited for leather, as it does not split/break/fracture at all when you roll up the leather and behave very much like silicone.  On the internet most sites promote acrylic paint for the job, but that does not work well as suggested for leather.

The final product is far from perfect but I think it turned out well enough and should give me numerous years of enjoyment to play on it.

Hope you enjoy it too.

Last edited by Jackph on Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:01 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : errors)

Jackph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Leather Chess Board

Post  TheZyrax on Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:36 pm

Looking real nice!! Would i ever want/need a board to roll up i would never buy a plastic one, I would defensively want one of these. However i love the massiv wood feeling of normal boards the most of all. But i think i would have skipped the numbers and letters or at least not make them stand out so much, just a personal preference. But a real craftsman chip Very Happy

TheZyrax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jackph on Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:50 pm

Hi TheZyrax

Tx for your honest opinion, advice and comments.

I totally agree with you about the numbers and letters. It stand out too much. I want to use off-white or a dull white to make the board colors stand out more...

I have a Mahogany and Padauk wood boards as well to play on and wood is also my favourite.

Jackph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top