chessgod101
Please login to view all of the forum content.

Openings for Amateurs by Pete Tamburro

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Openings for Amateurs by Pete Tamburro

Post  ChessCaissa on Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:30 am

Thanks to scorpionchess and to gambit_man!

Link (PDF and PGN):
http://rgho.st/7WwJP8YJL

Password: CAISSA

Openings for Amateurs - Pete Tamburro

Title and Author: Openings for Amateurs - Pete Tamburro
Hardcover: 333
Publisher: Mongoose Press
Publication Date: June 2014
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1936277506
ISBN-13: 978-1936277506

Don t have the time to study opening theory, or to figure out where you re going wrong with your games?
Are you looking for guidance on how to handle the opening so that you can get a playable middlegame?

Openings for Amateurs is written with two kinds of chessplayers in mind: average club players who can't afford to learn variations 30 moves deep; and scholastic players looking to take the next step in their chess development. This is really two books in one! The Primer covers the most frequent mistakes made in the opening and considers many common misconceptions about this phase of the game. Popular chess author and lecturer Pete Tamburro devotes special attention to the best ways to meet both tricky lines like the Blackmar-Diemer and the Belgrade Gambit, and system attacks such as the Colle and the Barry, while discussing such vexing topics as when to chase a bishop and whether to believe openings manuals. Part II offers a selection of openings that you are invited to consider based on your needs, and presents 53 annotated model games to help you understand the openings ideas rather than just memorizing moves. The aim is to help you determine where you are now and then how to pursue your chess goals while helping you right away to survive the opening in your next tournament !

Here are a couple of characteristic, and contradictory, evaluations:

"A worthy candidate for anyone's first serious chess book. It's well written by an expert instructor, laced with fun anecdotes, but it's the chess that matters. Thanks to the book, I finally know how to face the dreaded Colle System, but more than that, it's Tamburro's approach to chess that matters. Being able to understand an opening gives me a chance to understand any opening. Look at all checks and captures, avoid premature attacks, and develop meaningfully. All advice that you will find elsewhere, but here, the examples are fun and easy to understand. Highly recommended."

"As an amateur, I was looking for a book that would give me a solid foundation of openings to build from, unfortunately it did not live up to this task...
The book starts with a "Primer" with several good lessons, however it left me "scatter-brained", such that it was very difficult for any material to stick. The primer is a collection of very random lessons. I will say that some are useful. One covered various gambits, that was a good one.
When you finally get to the second part, where he covers specific openings, there still seems to be a "scatter-brained" approach. I was hoping for something along the lines of: Here are fundamental openings you should start with, and here is thorough coverage of the main lines for each. That is not at all what this book is...
If you like random collections of thoughts, or you already have a rock-solid understanding of the basic openings, this book may very well be entertaining, and expand your understanding of what you already know. On that note, maybe it should have been titled: Openings for Folks who Know their Fundamental Openings."
___

ChessCaissa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Openings for Amateurs by Pete Tamburro

Post  festival on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:49 am

Thanks to Caissa.

Made a Table of Contents for this great book.

https://www98.zippyshare.com/v/0sK1RjqH/file.html

festival

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Rook on Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:50 pm

Could someone please repost this with a solidfile link?
The Rook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ChessCaissa on Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:41 pm

The Rook wrote:Could someone please repost this with a solidfile link?

https://www.solidfiles.com/v/V4N7mLnqwGgmp

ChessCaissa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Rook on Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:52 pm

Thank you very much Chesscaissa. cheers Do you have the PGN file?
The Rook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  festival on Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:32 am

The Rook wrote:Thank you very much Chesscaissa. cheers  Do you have the PGN file?

He posted this already here at the top :-)

festival

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Rook on Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:10 am

festival wrote:
The Rook wrote:Thank you very much Chesscaissa. cheers  Do you have the PGN file?

He posted this already here at the top :-)

I don't think my tablet likes that link. It downloaded fine on my PC just now.

Thanks again, Chesscaissa.
The Rook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top