chessgod101
Please login to view all of the forum content.

Whether to Buy a Kindle?

Go down

Whether to Buy a Kindle? Empty Whether to Buy a Kindle?

Post  TheBrain910 on Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:45 pm

Hey guys,

I've been chess for awhile now but just came across a few posts of people saying how the KINDLE version of a certain chess book was way better than the regular.They said b/c you had to set up the board or at least go through PGNs, Kindle took care of integrating the words with their own sort of PGN. Is this true? Has anyone found Kindle better for chess books where you have to read but there are also a diagram each time.? I would assume it has its own arrows kinda alike for PGN otherwise that could be a problem.Or maybe you could explain why its so useful if I'm missing the point. Lastly, as a result of using books for Kindle, I'm guessing I want one of the bigger kindles to see everything, is tht correct?I also have an iPhone 6 b/c I know you can have them relay info to each other these days.
FEEL FREE to ask me if I have a certain book I can't find, I would I have probably 800-1000 PDFs.

TheBrain910

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Whether to Buy a Kindle? Empty Re: Whether to Buy a Kindle?

Post  LarsenB on Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:44 pm

TheBrain910 wrote:Hey guys,

I've been chess for awhile now but just came across a few posts of people saying how the KINDLE version of a certain chess book was way better than the regular.They said b/c you had to set up the board or at least go through PGNs, Kindle took care of integrating the words with their own sort of PGN. Is this true? Has anyone found Kindle better for chess books where you have to read but there are also a diagram each time.? I would assume it has its own arrows kinda alike for PGN otherwise that could be a problem.Or maybe you could explain why its so useful if I'm missing the point. Lastly, as a result of using books for Kindle, I'm guessing I want one of the bigger kindles to see everything, is tht correct?I also have an iPhone 6 b/c I know you can have them relay info to each other these days.
FEEL FREE to ask me if I have a certain book I can't find, I would I have probably 800-1000 PDFs.

Kindle, or any plain eBook reader, I would say are marginally good for chess reading, but not great.... the conversion to Kindle format is a bit hit-or-miss, sometimes is a straight port of the paper books, sometimes they add some sort of interaction, but in any case you are a bit limited by the nature of the underlying system, which lets you use the device for just the one thing they are meant to do: reading

Full featured tablets with Android/iOS are on the other hand, fantastic... not only you can usually read the same eBook formats as the above devices, but there are also plenty of interesting chess applications tailored for reading; for instance, Chess Book Study is a nice "mixed mode" viewer: half screen to show a PDF of your choice, half screen to show an interactive board; then there are some even more integrated apps, like the Forward Chess viewer, or the Gambit books/Everyman books app, or things like the New in Chess magazine in digital format (not sure about Android, but works great on iOS) and so on....
LarsenB
LarsenB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum