chessgod101
Please login to view all of the forum content.

One Bishop Saves the Day: A World Champion's Favorite Studies by Sergei Tkachenko (Author)

Go down

One Bishop Saves the Day: A World Champion's Favorite Studies  by Sergei Tkachenko (Author) Empty One Bishop Saves the Day: A World Champion's Favorite Studies by Sergei Tkachenko (Author)

Post  ChessCaissa on Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:14 am

PDF (2.2 mb):
http://rgho.st/8vgxpMvkX

Thanks to the original uploader! sunny

Learn great traps, turn losses into draws and draws into wins!

Sergei Tkachenko, a member of the Ukrainian team that won the 5th World Chess Composition Tournament in 1997 and which came second in 2000, 2004, 2013, and 2017, has collected 100 studies whose common theme is that white ends up with just one bishop in the finale, yet manages to win or draw.

There are no more than six moves in any solution, so experienced chess players can analyze the positions directly from the diagrams.Newbies to chess problems will also find analyzing these studies useful. The diverse set of tactical ideas involving a single bishop in the finale will enable them to gain a deeper understanding of the bishop’s resourcefulness.

Some of these studies are classics from bygone ages. Others were originally published in the Soviet Union or ex-Soviet countries. Several are Sergei’s own compositions.

This is the third book in a series of endgame studies by Sergei Tkachenko to be published by Elk and Ruby Publishing House.

EDITORIAL REVIEWS

“Tkachenko is a lauded study composer with a keen aesthetic eye, and the studies are beautiful while remaining comprehensible” – John Hartmann, US Chess Federation website, 22 November 2017

“The concept is simple, but fun.” – Chessbase website, 20 December 2017

“It's a good workout, and the book's small size and well-chosen puzzles makes it a handy and enjoyable way to pick up some practice not just at home but when you've got a few minutes on the go.” – Dennis Monokroussos, The Chess Mind blog, 24 December 2017

“These books are excellent in three ways. Firstly, the chosen studies are exceptionally beautiful. I was constantly oohing and aahing with satisfaction! Secondly, the examples are a good mix of the famous and unfamiliar. I’ve solved a fair number of studies in the past, but about 75% of the studies in each book were unfamiliar to me, which is excellent. Thirdly, the level of the studies is very rewarding. Some are harder than others but the knowledge that a pawn (in the first book) or a knight (in the second book) will deliver the final blow is a wonderful hint that always helps you in the right direction without revealing too much.” – Grandmaster Matthew Sadler, New in Chess, January 2018

“Not only were the studies relevant, they were also compelling – just like chess puzzle books, except deeper, more textured and often profoundly entertaining with many surprising “aha” moments by way of conclusion... …I have found myself reading the books in this series just about anywhere – on my commute to work, in my lunch break, in the bathroom, while waiting for my better half to finish her shopping, etc. One of these books is always by my side. So if you enjoy studies, or are curious about studies, but haven’t yet got around to looking at them, this series will be just right for you.” – Carsten Hansen, American Chess Magazine, March 2018

Product details
Paperback: 206 pages
Publisher: Limited Liability Company Elk and Ruby Publishing House (December 20, 2017)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 5950043367
ISBN-13: 978-5950043369

ChessCaissa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

One Bishop Saves the Day: A World Champion's Favorite Studies  by Sergei Tkachenko (Author) Empty Re: One Bishop Saves the Day: A World Champion's Favorite Studies by Sergei Tkachenko (Author)

Post  chessnoname on Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:25 am

PGN available?

chessnoname

View user profile

Back to top Go down

One Bishop Saves the Day: A World Champion's Favorite Studies  by Sergei Tkachenko (Author) Empty Re: One Bishop Saves the Day: A World Champion's Favorite Studies by Sergei Tkachenko (Author)

Post  gambit_man on Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:46 am

chessnoname wrote:PGN available?

Here is the PGN for this book - moves and variation not supporting text.  I created this from my Forward Chess digital version of the book . So the whole book content is there in terms of the moves + variations  but note that each line of the PGN relates to a position in the book - not necessarily to a new game. So the whole book content is there but you may have to go through several lines of PGN for a particular game.  

Code:
https://www8.zippyshare.com/v/ljMfzCzi/file.html

(link is not clickable you have to copy and paste into a web browser - I post links this way as it avoids the ad.fly and advertising stuff that gets attached to links if you post them directly)

gambit_man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chessnoname on Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:37 pm

Thanks to ChessCaissa and gambit_man!!

chessnoname

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down