chessgod101
Please login to view all of the forum content.

How To Reduce MP4 Video File Size to produce "Tiny" size video files

Go down

How To Reduce MP4 Video File Size to produce "Tiny" size video files Empty How To Reduce MP4 Video File Size to produce "Tiny" size video files

Post  gambit_man on Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:10 am

All,

There have been some requests from people asking how to make the reduced sized ("tiny")  MP4 video files that you will have seen shared here. This is where the video files size has been significantly reduced usually by about 60% or higher  while keeping the visual quality  the same. The reduced size makes it much easier for uploading, sharing and downloading particularly  when the video file sizes are very large and if people have limited internet speeds or storage or want to load it onto a mobile/handheld device and want smaller file size.  

Here is a guide to how I do this. I must give thank to our great friend "Ishmael" from Immortal forum who I got this method from in the first place.  There are other tools and methods but this works well and is simple to do. Also I am aware others may have their own ideas of best settings to use and that is fine please feel free to share here - but these work well for me and I have reduced many, many video files for sharing:

1)  You need to download and install a free tool "handbrake".  For my guide here you need Handbrake  version 0.10.5.0. There are several later versions now available but I use 0.10.5.0 and the settings I am showing here relate to that version I don't know how they would be set  on the later versions.   Go to this page and SCROLL DOWN down to section "Download HandBrake old versions" find the version 0.10.5.0 (called  "HandBrake-0.10.5-x86_64-Win_GUI.exe" and download it. This is OK for 32 or 64 bit Windows:
https://www.videohelp.com/software/HandBrake/old-versions

2)  Open Handbrake and click on SOURCE and then FILE then navigate to the mp4 file that you wish to reduce.  In the "Destination" field you can set where you want your reduced file saved to and also what you want to call the reduced file. Be careful if you don't change it will use a default location so you need to note where that is otherwise you won't be able to find your file afterwards !
Now you must change some settings in some of the tabs.   Most tabs you can leave as default settings but you need to set the following ones exactly like I have shown below. Note: you must first have loaded up the file (step 2) before doing this.

3)  At the very top left of the main Handbrake screen click on TOOLS then OPTIONS and you will then be in the "preferences" screen. With GENERAL (top of list on left) highlighted  -  down at the bottom of screen under "User Interface"  tick the box at the bottom called  "Show Advanced Encoder Options".   You need to have this ticked to be able to do the next steps. Like this:

How To Reduce MP4 Video File Size to produce "Tiny" size video files Capture5

4)  Now CLOSE the preferences and go back to the main Handbrake screen .  In the "Video" tab set it like this  - using the slider bar set the RF=28 and you MUST tick the box to  "use Advanced tab instead"  -this is very important.  I will mention about the RF value again later but for now use this setting:

How To Reduce MP4 Video File Size to produce "Tiny" size video files Capture1

5) In the "Audio" tab set it like this:

How To Reduce MP4 Video File Size to produce "Tiny" size video files Capture2

6)  In the "Advanced" tab use ALL of these exact settings:

How To Reduce MP4 Video File Size to produce "Tiny" size video files Capture3

7)  IMPORTANT - now before you do anything else you must save these settings  as  "preset".  So at the bottom right of main screen where there is the PLUS sign - click "add". Then in the dialogue box give your settings a name - any name doesn't matter - also you can give it a description if you want to (useful if you experiment with different settings)  -  then click "add" and you will see it saved in the list of  presets on the right.   Now every time you want to convert a file - you must click on your preset after you have loaded the file to make sure your setting are used - not just once for each session, but for every new file.   If you do not do this then every time you try to reduce a video file Handbrake will revert back to default settings and you will waste a lot of time reproducing a video of exactly the same size as the original - trust me I have done this !   Like this. You can see I have used various settings to experiment:

How To Reduce MP4 Video File Size to produce "Tiny" size video files Capture4

8]  Now press "Start" button at the top (next to green arrow)  and the processing will begin. Be warned it can take quite a long  time depending on the file size and the processor and RAM of your computer but be patient and let it finish.

9)  When it has completed  go to the location you set for the reduced file to be saved - check the reduced video and make sure the quality is OK. If it is then you can now load the next video file and reduce it and so on for all the video files in the DVD , but remember each time to click on the preset you saved in step (6) !!!

I mentioned earlier about the RF value. The value (RF=28) is a good value to use and works well for most video files BUT  you can experiment to try other settings. The quality of the starting video files is important as some of the  DVDs in the courses we buy have a higher quality to begin with and it is easier to reduce the size further while not losing any quality.  When you first load the video file to Handbrake then in the "picture" tab you will see the  frame size.  For videos with very high quality and large frame size like 1080p x 1920 (eg. courses from "chessworld") you can usually reduce the size more. So for example use all the settings I have given above BUT  in the "video" tab you can use the slider bar to increase the RF value to RF=30 or RF=32 or maybe even higher. But for others that are poorer quality like courses from "ichess" then use RF  =28  as this only reduces by 50% but  any smaller and it is too poor quality.   Basically the higher the RF value the greater the  reduction also the risk of loss of visual quality increases. Best advice is to always do a test and take one of the smallest files (to make the test quicker) and then try  a range from  RF=28  right through to RF=38 - maybe try 3 settings -  and then use the smallest file output file size that gives an OK quality.    Then I use that RF setting for all the other files in that DVD.

Hope this helps and good luck with reducing your mp4 video file sizes !

Last edited by gambit_man on Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:08 pm; edited 4 times in total

gambit_man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

How To Reduce MP4 Video File Size to produce "Tiny" size video files Empty Re: How To Reduce MP4 Video File Size to produce "Tiny" size video files

Post  CroCo_DiLe- on Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:13 am

Thank you so much gambit_man, you are the best !
CroCo_DiLe-
CroCo_DiLe-

View user profile

Back to top Go down

How To Reduce MP4 Video File Size to produce "Tiny" size video files Empty Re: How To Reduce MP4 Video File Size to produce "Tiny" size video files

Post  Christophe12345 on Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:53 am

I just downloaded your version... because i follow skype lessons and to reduce files is most welcome.
However the advanced section is not available.
Maybe no longer added ?
Christophe12345
Christophe12345

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gambit_man on Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:01 am

Christophe12345 wrote:I just downloaded your version... because i follow skype lessons and to reduce files is most welcome.
However the advanced section is not available.
Maybe no longer added ?

Hi,

Sounds like you have downloaded a later version. Go to following page and SCROLL DOWN - right down the page - until you see "HandBrake-0.10.5-x86_64-Win_GUI.exe". Download and install that version (0.10.5.0) and it will look the same as my guidance:

I just double checked by doing  HELP then ABOUT from top menu in handbrake and can confirm it is v 0.10.5.0 you need like this:

How To Reduce MP4 Video File Size to produce "Tiny" size video files Capture

gambit_man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Christophe12345 on Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:09 am

That is indeed the version i have downloaded.
Christophe12345
Christophe12345

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gambit_man on Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:16 am

Christophe12345 wrote:That is indeed the version i have downloaded.

In the "video" tab have you ticked the checkbox "Use Advanced Tab Instead" . You need to tick that for the Advanced tab to become available. I tried to show this clearly highlighted in yellow in my image in step (3).

gambit_man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Christophe12345 on Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:48 am

Correct... but this possiblity to tick it ... is no longer available... but it works fine without... just tried it.
Thanks for sharing this knowledge.
Christophe12345
Christophe12345

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gambit_man on Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:32 am

Christophe12345 wrote:Correct... but this possiblity to tick it ... is no longer available... but it works fine without... just tried it.
Thanks for sharing this knowledge.

Hi Christophe12345,

My apologies I have realised what has happened here. In order for the "advanced" tab to be visible you have to set an option in the settings. At the very top left of the main Handbrake screen click on TOOLS then OPTIONS and you will then be in the "preferences" screen. With GENERAL (top of list on left) highlighted  -  down at the bottom of screen under "User Interface"  tick the box at the bottom called  "Show Advanced Encoder Options". Now the "advanced tab will be working.    

Although you said you got this to work anyway, for best results it is important to activate and use this advanced tab with the settings I have given in step (5).   I have amended my tutorial above to point this out

How To Reduce MP4 Video File Size to produce "Tiny" size video files Capture5

gambit_man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CroCo_DiLe- on Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:35 am

Exactly, now it works ! Thank you so much Gambit_man
CroCo_DiLe-
CroCo_DiLe-

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jnabri01 on Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:07 pm

Than you very mauch Gambit_man .
I have windows 7 32version not 64 .is this version 0-10-5-0 work for me .
Thank you

jnabri01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ticcel on Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:37 pm

Handbrake documentation is here :

https://handbrake.fr/docs/

and the forum :

https://forum.handbrake.fr/

ticcel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gambit_man on Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:08 pm

jnabri01 wrote:Than you very mauch Gambit_man .
I have windows 7 32version not 64 .is this version 0-10-5-0 work for me .
Thank you

Yes that version is OK for 32 or 64 bit Windows.  Go to:

SCROLL DOWN down to the section "Download HandBrake old versions" find the version 0.10.5.0 (called  "HandBrake-0.10.5-x86_64-Win_GUI.exe")  and download and install it.

gambit_man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mekkihd on Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:12 am

Download this version link is
https://www.videohelp.com/download/HandBrake-0.10.5-x86_64-Win_GUI.exe
Or
https://www.videohelp.com/download/HandBrake-0.10.5-x86_64-Win_GUI.exe?r=ZmtkzCFNWTk

mekkihd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mohamed sayed on Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:17 am

thanks a lot man

mohamed sayed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

How To Reduce MP4 Video File Size to produce "Tiny" size video files Empty User profile using Handbrake 1.22 last version

Post  betterbig2 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:38 am

Hi!

I´ve tested Gambit_man settings with Handbrake 0.10.5 and it took, for a particular chess vid, 16 min to complete in my computer (FX 8320, 8 Gb RAM).

Then, using Handbrake last version 1.22, and with the profile I use, it took 6 min to complete, giving the same resulting file size (well, a tiny tiny lower size).

You can import the following user profile called chess.json into your Handbrake 1.22 and compare results. Don´t forget to modify the destination folder according to your preferences.

Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ff5omcrc1wd12wg/chess.json/file

PD: thanks to Gambit_man for the original post. Very Happy

Last edited by betterbig2 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:38 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : updated link solving audio presets)

betterbig2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  grousey on Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:16 am

A lot of work put into this, most grateful, thanks a lot!

grousey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LarsenB on Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:02 am

I'm just doing a quick test with the latest 1.22; without modifying any general option, and just using the 'Fast 720p30' preset as a starting point, with the simple change RF=28 and audio to mono 48bitrate, I'm getting a decent ~50% reduction and it's pretty fast to process.
LarsenB
LarsenB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down