chessgod101
Please login to view all of the forum content.

Sharpen Your Chess Tactics in 7 Days by Gary Lane

Go down

Sharpen Your Chess Tactics in 7 Days  by Gary Lane   Empty Sharpen Your Chess Tactics in 7 Days by Gary Lane

Post  ChessCaissa on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:56 am

PDF (5.8 mb):
http://rgho.st/7lfzZLLYs

Thanks to the original uploader at Chess India! sunny

Australian chess champion Gary Lane introduced his unique training methods in the bestselling Improve Your Chess in 7 Days. Now he applies the same quick, effective approach to a book focused on tactics. With realistic examples from actual games, the reader learns to use pins, forks, skewers, decoys, deflections, and other classic maneuvers in every phase of play, from the opening to the endgame. By following the plan day by day—studying the positions, reading the text, and performing the exercises—any player, whether beginner, intermediate, or advanced, is assured of dramatic results in just 7 days.

About the Author
Australian chess champion and Player of the Year for 2004, Gary Lane is a prolific and popular chess author. He has written over a dozen titles, including Find the Winning Move (ISBN 0713488719), Ideas Behind Modern Chess Openings: Black (0173489502) and Improve Your Chess in 7 Days (9780713490503). He lives in Australia.

Product details
Paperback: 224 pages
Publisher: Batsford (March 3, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1906388288
ASIN: B007R96VIC

From a review on the web:

"The remainder of the book is filled with even more entertaining (and fresh) illustrations of Lane's ideas. My favorite section is "Mastering the Endgame." It's an excellent primer on beginning endgame play. Lane's discussion of rook and pawn endings is especially instructive as he explores key positions of increasing complexity before revealing how they can inform one's practical endgame play. In so doing, Lane bridges the gulf between theoretical and practical beautifully. He even includes an enlightening analysis of a relatively complex endgame: queen and king vs. rook and king. Here Lane deftly balances concern for the beginner's understanding with the goal of providing quality analysis for stronger players.

My only qualm about the book is that its discussion of positional play is a little sparse. In fact, tactical fireworks frequently overshadow Lane's discussion of positional chess. The complexities of positional play, however, are probably outside the scope of the book. Furthermore, the section is very entertaining, and my complaint is only that I would've appreciated a little more on the subject.

Gary Lane's Improve Your Chess in 7 Days is ideal for improving players. The book's analysis is not overwhelming, and the engaging writing and well-chosen examples keep the reader turning the pages (something most chess books fail to accomplish). For this reason, I think Improve Your Chess in 7 Days would make a great gift for someone making the transition from wood-pusher to club player."

ChessCaissa

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum