chessgod101
Please login to view all of the forum content.

Convert PDF to PGN chess format

Go down

Convert PDF to PGN chess format Empty Convert PDF to PGN chess format

Post  , smechov on Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:25 am

Friends, on the immortal was this topic. Tell me, please, the name of the program, as well as the form of instructions. I would like to try.

, smechov

Posts : 5
Points : 2
Reputation : -7
Join date : 2019-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Convert PDF to PGN chess format Empty Re: Convert PDF to PGN chess format

Post  Christophe12345 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:55 pm

I have found this on chess.com... someone described the following :

1.- The way to do it and learn is to have the pdf of the file, (example, "Viktor Moskalenko French defense") to transform into pgn or cbh.

2.- Have the databases of the pdf document (example "Viktor Moskalenko French defense" in pgn or cbh)

In the internet there are already games in pgn, it is a question of looking for them, they can be found together or loose, they can be searched in chessgames is a database where all the tournament are saved, and you can see other sites of chessbases.

3.- To have an editor of pgn or the chessbase to realize the edition of the pdf to pgn or cbh etc.

open the pdf, select the example, of the game example

Viktor Moskalenko French defense

l. Sveshnikov E. - Moskalenko V.
URS-ch Norilsk, 1 987

You will find text parts and plays
the text of the pdf is copied, part by part, incorporating in the corresponding plays in the pgn editor in the corresponding pgn file, there will be some parts that we will incorporate as a new variable.

so the pgn or cbh is being built
It's the easiest thing I've done
pdf copy text paste in the pgn

- - -

Hope this helps a bit :-)
Christophe12345
Christophe12345

Posts : 93
Points : 142
Reputation : 45
Join date : 2018-11-27
Location : Netherlands

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Convert PDF to PGN chess format Empty I need information from the immortalchess

Post  , smechov on Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:04 pm

This information is superfluous. I need information from Immortalchess. Maybe someone saved information or have an archive Immortalchess? The name of the programs ???

, smechov

Posts : 5
Points : 2
Reputation : -7
Join date : 2019-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Convert PDF to PGN chess format Empty Re: Convert PDF to PGN chess format

Post  gaurav_singh_md on Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:05 pm

, smechov wrote:Friends, on the immortal was this topic. Tell me, please, the name of the program, as well as the form of instructions. I would like to try.

There was a software developed by an Immortal member (qnarchi) but it works only on a specific type of pdf (where all the fonts are embedded in the pdf file). It needs a bit of tweaking sometimes as well (so not of much use unless you know a bit of java, html etc.)

gaurav_singh_md

Posts : 34
Points : 246
Reputation : 210
Join date : 2018-04-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Convert PDF to PGN chess format Empty Re: Convert PDF to PGN chess format

Post  gambit_man on Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:18 pm

gaurav_singh_md wrote:
, smechov wrote:Friends, on the immortal was this topic. Tell me, please, the name of the program, as well as the form of instructions. I would like to try.

There was a software developed by an Immortal member (qnarchi) but it works only on a specific type of pdf (where all the fonts are embedded in the pdf file). It needs a bit of tweaking sometimes as well (so not of much use unless you know a bit of java, html etc.)

Just to expand on the point made by gaurav_singh_md above.   Other than that specialised software which requires a particular format of PDF (not common) where all the fonts are embedded in the PDF file and technical java knowledge.....other than that there is no magic way to instantly convert PDF to PGN.    It takes many hours of hard work and dedication to produce a PGN from a PDF - so when you see it shared here a lot of work has gone into it. Some hints on the methods to do this:

1)  Chess Scan Intelligent (CSINT) is one of the most popular tools that you can use to manually create a PGN from PDF but requires a lot of time and effort to do it properly.

2)   "DiagTransfer 3.0.1 Tool".   This is kind of "semi-automated" method. You do have to manually click to put the pieces on each board to generate the FEN, BUT what is nice about this tool is that it gives you a board overlay that is semi-transparant/opaque. So you cover your PDF chess diagram with it and you can see right through to exactly where the pieces actually are and you then need to click on every piece on the board underneath the tool.  I have made PGN from PDF myself using this and the last time I did it took me about 1 hour to produce 10 board diagrams although you can probably get faster with practice.  You can download it free from here:

http://alain.blaisot.free.fr/DiagTransfer/English/home.htm

3) There is also another program by Fred Mellender which captures images of a chessboard in a book and converts it to PGN. It is a bit fiddly but once set up can work OK, depending on the quality of the PDF as its based on optical recognition. Here is his home page describing the tool with download. You can also find some youtube videos showing how to do this search for Fred Mellender PGN:

https://sites.google.com/site/fredm/

Hope this helps.

gambit_man

Posts : 813
Points : 3092
Reputation : 2226
Join date : 2010-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Convert PDF to PGN chess format Empty Re: Convert PDF to PGN chess format

Post  , smechov on Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:22 pm

Thank! Chessboard Capture Program - Are these programs only described here? I am looking for a program to convert PDF books to PGN with all the moves. Granted, this is a long time job.

, smechov

Posts : 5
Points : 2
Reputation : -7
Join date : 2019-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Convert PDF to PGN chess format Empty Re: Convert PDF to PGN chess format

Post  gambit_man on Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:38 pm

, smechov wrote:Thank! Chessboard Capture Program - Are these programs only described here? I am looking for a program to convert PDF books to PGN with all the moves. Granted, this is a long time job.

With respect - you are looking for something which does not exist ! There is no automatic conversion process to produce a PGN with moves/text from a PDF book. If such a tool existed, then many members on Immortal would not have spent hundreds of hours collectively making PGN versions of books from PDF. If you are starting with the PDF you have to first capture the chessboard diagrams using the methods described above to produce a PGN with just the diagrams and moves. Then you have to use Chessbase (or similar) to manually copy and paste the supporting text from the PDF and add it in before and after the moves, for each diagram. Then you finally end up with a PGN version of the book with diagrams, moves and text.

What you may be thinking of is that there was a member on Immortal called "Robert" (I don't know if he is here in CG101) who did develop some software that partly automated doing this, but he used the EPUB as the input for it. This is because it works on the code in the book's html files (which are contained inside the EPUB) but he never shared this software as he explained that it was very complex and still requires a lot of manual input and tweaking and adjustment even after the software has run. Many of his conversions were shared in Immortal and also here so if you have seen those that is how it was done....but in most cases you have to go through the stages I have described above there is no automatic way to do it.


gambit_man

Posts : 813
Points : 3092
Reputation : 2226
Join date : 2010-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Convert PDF to PGN chess format Empty PDF to XML

Post  , smechov on Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:34 pm

Unfortunately, I did not pay enough attention to this topic. But it seemed like it was a PDF to XML algorithm. Next is the work of converting to PGN. I would like to know the right direction. How's the intelligence?)

, smechov

Posts : 5
Points : 2
Reputation : -7
Join date : 2019-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Convert PDF to PGN chess format Empty Re: Convert PDF to PGN chess format

Post  CroCo_DiLe- on Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:51 pm

Thank you very much gambit for this detailec explanation. I could not find anywhere Chess Scan Intelligent (CSINT). The download link from the wayback machine is broken. By chance would you have a copy of this software?
Many thanks
CroCo_DiLe-
CroCo_DiLe-

Posts : 149
Points : 231
Reputation : 126
Join date : 2017-06-21
Age : 32

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Convert PDF to PGN chess format Empty Re: Convert PDF to PGN chess format

Post  Christophe12345 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:57 pm

http://web.archive.org/web/20071123041757/http://www.fairychess.com/ChessScan.html

(don't know if this is the latest version.. but at least you can install and look for eventual updates)
Christophe12345
Christophe12345

Posts : 93
Points : 142
Reputation : 45
Join date : 2018-11-27
Location : Netherlands

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Convert PDF to PGN chess format Empty Re: Convert PDF to PGN chess format

Post  CroCo_DiLe- on Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:15 am

Christophe, this is exactly what I wrote in my post, the download link from the wayback machine is broken (Equal the link you just posted), If you download the file you only get a corrupted .jar file.
CroCo_DiLe-
CroCo_DiLe-

Posts : 149
Points : 231
Reputation : 126
Join date : 2017-06-21
Age : 32

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Convert PDF to PGN chess format Empty Re: Convert PDF to PGN chess format

Post  Christophe12345 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:47 am

Sorry i am not a specialist... this is what i found on the internet...

If you have a jar file called Example.jar, follow these rules:
Open a notepad.exe.
Write : java -jar Example.jar.
Save it with the extension .bat.
Copy it to the directory which has the .jar file.
Double click it to run your .jar file.

Hope this helps... or others with more programming knowledge on this forum might help you.

Greetings,
Chris
Christophe12345
Christophe12345

Posts : 93
Points : 142
Reputation : 45
Join date : 2018-11-27
Location : Netherlands

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Convert PDF to PGN chess format Empty Re: Convert PDF to PGN chess format

Post  gambit_man on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:08 am

CroCo_DiLe- wrote:Thank you very much gambit for this detailec explanation. I could not find anywhere Chess Scan Intelligent (CSINT). The download link from the wayback machine is broken. By chance would you have a copy of this software?
Many thanks

Hi,

Here is CSINT version 0.8b:

Code:
https://www102.zippyshare.com/v/8Y2JEdRU/file.html

It works fine. You must have at least Java 1.4 installed and enabled on your computer then double click on the CSint.jar executable  file and tell your computer to open it using Java. I do that and I get this opening screen:

Convert PDF to PGN chess format Capture


Please do not ask me for any advice or guidance on using it as I am not experienced with CSINT - but the page here gives some guidance:

http://web.archive.org/web/20071123041757/http://www.fairychess.com/ChessScan.html

Also I am sure there are some ex-Immortals on here who are experienced in using this and would have been responsible for creating PGNs in the past - maybe one of them can help with any guidance.

gambit_man

Posts : 813
Points : 3092
Reputation : 2226
Join date : 2010-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Convert PDF to PGN chess format Empty Chess

Post  , smechov on Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:57 am

Application for browsing PDF chess books. .


Last edited by , smechov on Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : new)

, smechov

Posts : 5
Points : 2
Reputation : -7
Join date : 2019-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Convert PDF to PGN chess format Empty Re: Convert PDF to PGN chess format

Post  shahrad on Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:45 pm

Christophe12345 wrote:I have found this on chess.com... someone described the following :

1.- The way to do it and learn is to have the pdf of the file, (example, "Viktor Moskalenko French defense") to transform into pgn or cbh.

2.- Have the databases of the pdf document (example "Viktor Moskalenko French defense" in pgn or cbh)

In the internet there are already games in pgn, it is a question of looking for them, they can be found together or loose, they can be searched in chessgames is a database where all the tournament are saved, and you can see other sites of chessbases.

3.- To have an editor of pgn or the chessbase to realize the edition of the pdf to pgn or cbh etc.

open the pdf, select the example, of the game example

Viktor Moskalenko French defense

l. Sveshnikov E. - Moskalenko V.
URS-ch Norilsk, 1 987

You will find text parts and plays
the text of the pdf is copied, part by part, incorporating in the corresponding plays in the pgn editor in the corresponding pgn file, there will be some parts that we will incorporate as a new variable.

so the pgn or cbh is being built
It's the easiest thing I've done
pdf copy text paste in the pgn

- - -

Hope this helps a bit :-)

We need a "Group turn PDF into PGN" section.

shahrad

Posts : 85
Points : 99
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2018-11-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Convert PDF to PGN chess format Empty AGREE

Post  SKATA on Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:10 pm

shahrad wrote:
Christophe12345 wrote:I have found this on chess.com... someone described the following :

1.- The way to do it and learn is to have the pdf of the file, (example, "Viktor Moskalenko French defense") to transform into pgn or cbh.

2.- Have the databases of the pdf document (example "Viktor Moskalenko French defense" in pgn or cbh)

In the internet there are already games in pgn, it is a question of looking for them, they can be found together or loose, they can be searched in chessgames is a database where all the tournament are saved, and you can see other sites of chessbases.

3.- To have an editor of pgn or the chessbase to realize the edition of the pdf to pgn or cbh etc.

open the pdf, select the example, of the game example

Viktor Moskalenko French defense AGREE AND WE SHOULD POST WHAT PDF BOOKS WE WANT TO BE TURNED INTO PGN I THINK IT WILL HELP THE SITE A LOT!!!!

l. Sveshnikov E. - Moskalenko V.
URS-ch Norilsk, 1 987

You will find text parts and plays
the text of the pdf is copied, part by part, incorporating in the corresponding plays in the pgn editor in the corresponding pgn file, there will be some parts that we will incorporate as a new variable.

so the pgn or cbh is being built
It's the easiest thing I've done
pdf copy text paste in the pgn

- - -

Hope this helps a bit :-)

We need a "Group turn PDF into PGN" section.

SKATA

Posts : 75
Points : 76
Reputation : -49
Join date : 2018-12-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Convert PDF to PGN chess format Empty Re: Convert PDF to PGN chess format

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum