chessgod101
Please login to view all of the forum content.

Winning Pawn Play in the Indian Defenses by Henrique Marinho

Go down

Winning Pawn Play in the Indian Defenses  by Henrique Marinho   Empty Winning Pawn Play in the Indian Defenses by Henrique Marinho

Post  ChessCaissa on Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:56 pm

PDF (13.8 mb):
http://rgho.st/72fXzwQPF

Thanks to the original uploader! sunny

In Winning Pawn Play in the Indian Defenses, Henrique Marinho provides the guideposts that you need to make your way through the forest of strategies and variations in the King's Indian and Benoni. Aron Nimzowitsch’s neglected idea of the “qualitative pawn majority” serves as the basic compass in the author’s systematic exploration of the plans available to both White and Black, showing how typical Indian pawn formations suggest each player’s strategic opportunities… and the consequences of ignoring what the pawn structure tells you.

Winning Pawn Play in the Indian Defenses Paperback – May 16, 2012
by Henrique Marinho (Author)

Product details
Paperback: 316 pages
Publisher: Mongoose Press (May 16, 2012)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1936277344
ISBN-13: 978-1936277346

Review by an Amazon reader:
"This is one of the most interesting chess books I've read in a long time. Henrique Marinho focuses on a neglected positional concept of Nimzovich's, the idea of the "qualitative pawn majority" (more mobile pawns on one or both wings) and then shows how it works in dark-square Indian structures (the King's Indian and Benoni defenses, with a supplement on the closed Ruy Lopez). While I came across various ways to conduct a pawn offensive as White or Black in the typical King's Indian where White pushes his d-pawn forward and then advances on the queenside, with Black counterattacking on the kingside, I also learned a wide range of techniques for defending against these plans. Most importantly, Marinho provides guidance on the positional factors to look for when judging in what situations each kind of attack is likely to succeed or fail. The terminology is a bit challenging, but it's systematic, it makes sense and once you get the hang of it, the names help in remembering the concepts.

Along the way, it was a treat to read the history of the origins of the theory of qualitative pawn majorities and why Nimzovich, driven by his passion to "beat Tarrasch," never developed it further. We tend to think that the Indian defenses are more or less a modern invention, but the author shows, with sample games and statistics, that these were already well known in master play by the turn of the last century.

Marinho didn't lose me with masses of tactical variations, focusing mainly on verbal explanations of positional features and drawing numerous parallels to the theory of war (the value of "playing second," having "alternative objectives," etc.). Sometimes, to illustrate how a possible variation might have played out, he set strong chess engines such as Houdini to play from a position where White or Black might have chosen a different line. This is an interesting idea, and I wish he had fleshed out those "engine games" a little better, but then these were mainly for illustration as, again, he didn't want to distract the reader from the larger positional point by getting bogged down in the tactics.

This is an original and eye-opening work. I would highly recommend it to: 1) anyone who plays (or wants to learn to play) either side of the King's Indian or Benoni; 2) players seeking to improve their positional understanding; and 3) chess buffs who are interested in historical controversies in the chess world. I'm not giving my name so that, if you ever meet me over the board, you won't know that I'm well armed with the ideas in this book!"

On the other hand, another reader says:
"Firstly, This book only covers some of the pawn structures of the King'S Indian, Benoni and the Spanish (Ruy Lopez). There is no coverage of the pawn structure of the exchange variation of the King's Indian. There is no coverage of pawn structures of the Nimzoindian. All the book seems to do is classify the pawn structures and give some new terminology to various pawn moves (e.g. "inversion") and exchanges. Some of the old terminology is from the book "My System" by Aron Nimzovitch and some from the book "Pawn Power in Chess" by Hans Kmoch. I did not notice any real attempt to suggest the most desirable pawn structures for white and black or where the pieces would optimally be placed for a given pawn structure or which pieces to exchange. Please also note that the author decided to give very few variations so I won't penalize him for that but a lot of the observations are trite.
It is really hard to decide who this book is for. Class A players and above will not learn much if anything while lower rated players should choose to play other chess openings."

ChessCaissa

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum